Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Big Things A-Coming

This weekend I’ll be sporting bib #222 at the Rocky Raccoon 100-mile trail run. I attempted this race back in 2008 with far less experience and far less preparation. I DNFd that race at mile 80 but this time around I am a completely different runner. The 2008 me is not even in the same league as the 2011 me and I am hopeful for a sub-24 hour finish.

I don’t mean to sound overly cocky I just feel very confident. I recognize that the 100-mile run is nothing to take for granted and even great runners are brought down by the distance from time to time but I can just feel the finish in me. I can feel my willingness to be flexible and take the day as it rolls but I am also armed with the hard earned knowledge that I can really be hurting at mile 40 and still find the reserves to finish strong if I am patient and if I just persevere.

I will run this race harder, I will not be afraid to crash and burn, I will have a good time when the race is over but during the race I will race.

This weekend I also find out whether or not I get into Wasatch. JT is going to be keeping tabs on the lottery process since he is another one of the hopefuls. He said he’ll text the GeekGrl to let me know if I got in or not. I think I’ll get in because there is about an 80% chance of getting selected. However, someone has to be in that 20% that doesn’t get selected and if I happen to be in that group then I’ll just roll over into something else. Right now I’m looking at Cascade Crest, The Bear and Superior Sawtooth as possible options.

Finally, as winter has worn on I have been dreaming of warmer times and missing my mountain running. I was daydreaming about my long runs up around Santa Fe and cleaning out my closet when I came across a t-shirt I bought years ago. It lists the “Great Peaks of New Mexico” and it gave me an idea. This year I’m going to start a quest to run up the 50 highest peaks listed for New Mexico. I’ve run some of them but I think all of them are accessible. I’m really looking forward to seeing them all.


  1. Good luck this weekend! Go get 'em!

  2. Congrats on the sub-24 finish!

  3. Not only did you redeem yourself you had a majr PR!

    Nice job out there.

    And Watsach!