Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cliff Notes from the Field: A Vineman Race Report

First, the whine-man report. The course was too bumpy, the roads in many places were basically crumbled pavement and there was not one single mile marker on the bike. It was windy on the bike. It got really hot, high temp was 98 degrees. The run course was brutal I tell you BRUTAL!

Ok, now that I have that out of my system here is a brief recap. The swim in the Russian River is pretty cool. The water temps were very mild and there was a thin fog over the top of the water but it didn’t really obscure the sighting. I took off with the second wave and swam very well. I ended up getting a 1:10 and I think 12 seconds, which is an IM swim PR for me by a little over two minutes.

The bike, as I said, was very rough and much more technical than any triathlon I have done. This is a cyclist’s course but more than anything it is a course that seriously needs to be re-paved. It is difficult to make a comparison to the bike course at Coeur d’Alene because this one has so many more turns and is so much rougher and it was so much hotter that it made it equally as difficult as CdA, which makes it a tad bit easier than Kentucky, much easier than Silverman and harder than Redman and Arizona. I ended up doing the bike in 6:05 and some change, which also makes this my IM bike PR.

The run, what can I say, it was 98 degrees when I started the run and the course was freakishly hard. It is a particularly cruel course for a Clydesdale. Let me see if I can provide some visuals. Have you ever done Kentucky or CdA? Well, the run course at Vineman is a lot like the bike courses at those two events. There is a ton of climbing and descending and they are not mellow climbs and descents. In my humble opinion I rate this run course as being harder than the Silverman run course. In fact, this run course is harder than the Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon, indeed, it is harder than the Mississippi Blues Marathon. I didn’t get the final time for my run but if you want you can do the math, my T1 was 3 minutes and my T2 was 4.

My total time was 12:47 and some seconds. I gave it all I had and even though I wasn’t totally fresh I felt like I did pretty well. I ended up being second place Clydesdale overall. I am pretty sure the guy who beat me was a 27-year-old whipper-snapper who passed me at mile 24.5. He was running well and I was pretty toasted. I tried to keep pace somewhat in the hope that he was, well, premature in his more to the finish, but no such luck, he just got smaller and smaller until he was gone.

This was a hard ass race! I’ll post pics at some point but now I am going to hit the sack.

17 comments:

  1. Enjoy your sleep ... think you've deserved it! :)

    Look forward to the photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian-you are the man my friend!That road does suck in parts and you did it twice! You had a different run course than the half so must have been more hills-and that heat! OMG..but you did it-congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:06 AM

    Congratulations on 2nd Clydesdale on a tough course in hot weather!

    That's a super fast swim!! Great bike, too, on a not-so-good road. The run sounds like torture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Brian! Smokin' fast swim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the race Brian! When you say it was a tough course it must have been really really bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:22 PM

    Simply outstanding. Your endurance for these long events, one after the other, is pretty amazing. You will be at Death Valley one day for sure!!!

    Congrats on another fantastic accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!

    (egads, that's a gruesome temperature)

    ReplyDelete
  9. da-a-a-a-a-a-a-ang, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the PR on the course and congrat on the AG placement.

    Get some rest, the fun stuff is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a BEAST! What a great race you had. Brutal was certainly the word of the day. I saw you a couple of times on the run. Every time you were running and I was walking.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you? sleep? no way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a hard but successful day. Congrats on a really fast time especially
    considering the course. & big time props on a 2nd place in a major Iron!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job!! I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go!!! What a race in that HEAT!!!

    WELL DONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn Whipper Snappers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!! Awesome job Brian!!

    ReplyDelete