Thursday, June 29, 2006

Trumpet Call Please


Ahem...here it is, my Ultravelo Bike story. I rode a bicycle...1012.79 miles this month...June 1 to June 29. I am not going to ride tomorrow.

There is a reason my temmates call me "Myles" and that reason is because I put a lot of miles in on the bike. Typical months run between 750 and 850 miles, even in winter. It isn't because I think I need this much time in the saddle or even that I think it is advisable for a triathlete to put this much time in the saddle, it's simply that I love to ride.

So why did I go the extra distance this month? I have been unable to run and was concerned about loosing fitness right in the middle of the season. I wanted to be able to keep the weight down and the cardiovascular fitness up.

What was the outcome of all these miles? I have maintained my weight at a Clydeorific 212.5lbs and during the month was able to post a 107.3 mile ride in 5 hours 34 minutes and 15 seconds on a hilly course. I know I showed up to Buffalo Springs overtrained last weekend but I'm not concerned because I wasn't running in my division anyway I was just out to have a good time and the mileage took precedence.

I can honestly say that my legs feel a little fried right now and I'm looking forward to backing off and getting in some recovery, then well see what gains I may have made.

I also pumped up the swim a little. Right now I'm sitting at 20,311 meters but I still have one more swim to complete tomorrow and am undecided on the distance.

Fortitudine Vincimus!

1 comment:

  1. (sigh) how am I EVER going to have ANY self esteem if you keep doing stuff like this?

    ReplyDelete